- You must be 18 or older to take classes. We offer kids’ classes for ages 7-12 and teen classes for ages 13-17.
- We accommodate 8-25 students for demonstration and hands-on classes.
- Demonstration classes: Students observe the chef prepare the recipes.
- Hands-on classes: Students work together in small groups to prepare all or part of the menu dishes under chef’s direction. In both types of classes, you’ll enjoy tastings of each dish. Classes where you’ll take food home will be noted.
- Wear comfortable clothing and non-skid closed toe shoes.
- Long hair needs to be tied back.
- We’ll provide you with an apron for use during class.
- Classes are 2-2.5 hours unless otherwise stated.
- Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis.
- We reserve the right to cancel a class if class enrollment is too low and will let you know by phone or email and give your other class choices to take instead.
- All equipment needed is provided for use during class.
- Printed recipes will be provided. You may want to bring pen and paper to take notes.
- Classmates will have varied skill levels.
- Our kitchen is not a gluten or nut-free environment, though we’ll do our best to accommodate food sensitivities and allergies. However, we can’t change class menus or guarantee those with diet restrictions will be able to eat everything made in class. Please indicate any allergies when registering and give the information to the chef at the beginning of your class.
- Food is cooked in class. In some classes, food you’ll consume may contain raw or under-cooked meats and fish. Consuming raw or under-cooked meats, poultry, seafood, shellfish or eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness. Examples: sushi, steak tartare, rare hamburger, raw egg in Caesar dressing.
- Gift Cards are non-refundable and can’t be redeemed for cash, but you can re-gift them and they never expire.
- Alcoholic beverages are NOT permitted.
VIRTUAL CLASS FAQS
What technology do I need?
We use Zoom for our virtual classes, a free Web application, or “app”, that facilitates group events, in this case, virtual cooking classes. You’ve probably heard of it by now! It’s in widespread use to connect families and friends, employees, and students and teachers.
You’ll need to download the app to your device (desktop, laptop, iPad, etc.) and set it up before the class. (You don’t need an account to take a class.) We recommend using a hands-free device so you can cook along, and getting familiar with it before joining your class. Zoom is easy to use, but make sure you have a reliable internet connection and the ability to stream video and audio.
How do I join the class?
You’ll need a Website link, meeting ID number, and password. We’ll email this information to you prior to start time, using the email address you provided when you registered. Please use your regular, everyday email address when you register, not a secondary email used for other purposes, like junk mail, to ensure that you receive everything you need for the class. (We will not share your email address with commercial third parties.)
At your scheduled class time, refer to the email you received and click the Join Zoom Meeting link. When ready to join the class and to give your device access, select Join with Video and Join Audio in the bottom left corner of the Zoom screen.
To ensure you have a good connection, please join the class at least five minutes prior to the start time and you’ll be directed to the waiting room until the class starts. If you have trouble accessing the class, please reach out to Zoom support, as we’re unable to provide Zoom technical assistance.
How do I get the recipes and equipment list?
Shopify, our online registration system, automatically generates follow-up emails when your registration is completed. Flying Aprons Tucson will email the link to the recipes, shopping, and equipment lists and Zoom login information.
I didn’t get an email, what next?
If you don’t receive your email, please check your spam folder. REMINDER: Please use your regular, everyday email address when you register, not a secondary email used for other purposes, like junk mail.
If you still can’t find our email, contact us at email@example.com or 520-261-1996 as soon as possible.
What’s the price of a class?
Classes range from $40-$60 per screen, not per person. If there are multiple people using one screen, you pay for only one screen. Please note that for some classes food and/or beverage kits will be available to purchase for an additional fee.
How long are the classes?
Classes range from 60-120 minutes. The length of each class is listed in the description. Plenty of time has been allotted for questions throughout the class.
Can I speak with the chef?
Yes! Please ask as many questions as you would like via Zoom’s chat function. During your class, you’ll have the opportunity to ask the chef questions by raising your hand with the Zoom hand reaction function. The moderator will unmute you and you’ll speak with the chef. We’ll do our best to get to every question.
Can others in my household attend with me?
Yes, since classes are priced per screen, not per person, feel free to include family members, including kids and teens, and housemates in any class. Please remember, children should always have adult supervision when cooking.
How do I prep for class?
Get your ingredients and supplies organized. Wash and chop produce, weigh or measure other ingredients. Gather cooking utensils and equipment, allowing you easy access to everything as you cook along with your chef. Please remember to wear an apron and comfortable closed toe shoes.
What if I have dietary restrictions or don’t have one of the ingredients?
We understand you may need to make substitutions. You can ask the chef about substitutions through the chat function or reach out a few days before the class.
What’s the cancellation policy?
All virtual class sales are final, and there are no refunds or credits.
Will the class be recorded?
Flying Aprons Tucson has the right to record all virtual cooking classes for future use on our website and social media platforms. You can opt out of being recorded by turning your camera off during the class. Please know we’re unable to provide class recordings to students.
How do I provide my order number during the class?
When you enter the class, please provide your order number from the confirmation email you received when you registered for class in the chat panel so that we can reference our class roster.
You can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 520-261-1996.